Monday, February 25, 2013

Day 209- Fighting Eczema

I do not have eczema, but I do have a chronic skin infection.  I saw this pin about using a bleach bath to treat eczema and thought that it couldn't hurt.
 
According to the pin, the bleach kills staphylococcus aureus bacteria which 90% of eczema sufferers have on their skin.  I figured it would kill the bacteria on mine as well.  It is best to take a lukewarm bath as opposed to a hot bath because a lukewarm bath is less harsh on the skin and won't dry it out as much. 
 
Ingredients:
40 gallons of lukewarm water (full bathtub)
1/2 cup bleach

Instructions:
Pour bleach into tub as it is running to ensure that it is well dispersed. Fill the tub to the brim with warm (not hot) water.

Directions:
For a severe eczema outbreak take 20 minute lukewarm baths, twice a day for a week, trying to be as fully immersed as possible. Moisturize skin immediately after soaking.

This treatment is also safe for children.
 
I was really careful not to get my hair wet.  I didn't know how harsh it would be on it. 
 
I thought the bath worked really well.  I think my skin infection looks better and it doesn't have that weird infected smell it sometimes gets when I have a bad outbreak (is that the right word for it?  I feel like I'm talking about herpes or something). 
 
I hope this works as well for eczema sufferers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment