Saturday, December 8, 2012

Day 130- eco-friendly steam clean carpet solution

With the holidays upon us, I have started cleaning my parent's house for Christmas.  We are having family over for a couple of days and my parents are too busy working to start cleaning. 

We have white carpet and two cats, so our carpet is full of stains.  My sister and I bought our parents a steam cleaner for Christmas, but we have decided to open it and use it beforehand so our carpets would be clean.

The cleaner that came with the machine smelled like awful chemicals.  I didn't want to breathe those smells in, so I looked to Pinterest to see if there were any better solutions.  I found this pin about creating a natural, non-hazardous cleaning solution.

All you have to do is mix equal parts white vinegar and warm water.  You can add a few drops of an essential oil.  The pin says that it is safe to use in any rented or home steam cleaner.  The vinegar will get rid of the stains as well as be an antibacterial agent.  The essential oils will deodorize the carpets.

For stubborn stains, you can use a mixture with more vinegar than water.  You can also pretreat the stains with a mixture of equal parts dish soap and baking soda.  Allow the mixture to sit for a few minutes before steam cleaning.

This pin has taught me a lot about cleaning carpets. 

I followed these directions and am pretty happy with the results. It got out a lot of stains.  Some of the older, more stubborn ones are still there. 

The dirty water was black when I was finished.  It was hard to believe that all of that dirt was in the carpets.  Even though I vacuumed a few minutes before steam cleaning, there was a lot of cat hair that was picked up.  It was shocking to see how much the vacuum didn't get. 

Needless to say, I love this new steam cleaner.  My carpets feel so soft and look so good. 

No comments:

Post a Comment