Sunday, December 16, 2012

Day 138- Japanese Multiplication Trick

I saw this pin about a Japanese multiplication trick and got really excited.  We all know that Japan kicks America's butt in math.  It's true.  No argument. 

When I was in college, I had an education professor show us the math books that Japan uses.  They looked like comic books- same size and shape.  They were written in strip form like comic books.  They have one little comic book a year.  That's all they use.  (At least that was how this math series was written.  I don't know if all Japanese math books are like this or just the one I saw.) 

It was such a change from the big, chunky American math books.  Obviously, Japan is doing something right.

Anyways, I saw this multiplication trick.  It took me a minute to figure out what was happening in the pictures. 

Here's how I think it goes:
For 13 x 12

Make a grid using the followign lines:
13:  You draw two groups of vertical lines: 1 and 3.
12: You draw two groups of horitzonal lines: 1 and 2.

Draw 3 circles: 1 around the top left corner, 1 around the top right and the bottom left, and 1 around the bottom right corner.

Count how many intersection are in each circle.  There should be 1 in the first, 5 in the second, and 6 in the third.

The answer is 156.

It only took me minute or so to do a couple of problems.  Of course, I could probably do it in my head just as fast.  However, it is a good trick to teach students to use when they can't use a calculator. 

I'm trying to figure out how to do three or more digit numbers. Let me know if you know how. 

Pinned Image

No comments:

Post a Comment