Thursday, October 11, 2012

Day 72- Hardboiling an egg


Today I had a craving for a hardboiled egg.  My only problem was that I cannot cook hardboiled eggs.  I just can’t do it.  They always turn out half-cooked, super hard, or explode out of the shell.  So, I decided to go to Pinterest and this is what I found.
Directions from the pin:

1) Start off with placing your eggs in a pot in a single layer and covering them with cold water about an inch above the eggs.
2) Turn the heat up to medium high and once water starts to bubble add some salt to the pot.

3) Bring water to a rolling boil. If your heat is too high, you will get some violent boiling and end up with egg casualties like this.
4) Once water comes to a rolling boil, place the lid on and turn off the heat.                                                                  

5) Let eggs sit for 12-13 minutes making sure to not open the lid or all of the heat will escape. Make sure not to start your timer until right when you turn off the heat.
6) When the time is up remove eggs from pot and rinse in cold water or place in an ice bath to stop the eggs from continuing to cook.

7) Spin the egg really hard on a flat surface. If the egg is hard boiled it will spin standing up like this one below and if it's not hard boiled it will spin horizontally.

I did all of these steps.  I even spun my egg to see if it would spin standing up and it did.  I was pretty excited that I had cooked the perfect hardboiled egg until I cracked it open.

White egg oozed out of the hole in the shell.  I wish I would have taken a picture, but I was so mad that I threw it in the trash immediately.  Plus, it was oozing all over me.  Ugh. I will never learn how to hardboil an egg.

No comments:

Post a Comment