Monday, August 20, 2012

Day 20-Stuffed Peppers


Pinned Image
I try andeat vegetables a lot, so I am always looking for new recipes to try.  Otherwise, eating salads everyday getsboring.  I saw this recipe on Pinterestand decided to try it.  I have to saythat it was pretty good.  It took about ahalf hour of prep time.  I didn’t usegreen chiles.  Just a personal preference.  I also used a Boca burger that I crumbled upinstead of tempeh because I didn’t have any.

When I was amazedthat this recipe made exactly the about of filling I needed.  There was no leftover filling!  That’s almost impossible to do. I must have pepper stuffing skills because I made it work.

Anyways, thepeppers were delicious.  I am definitely goingto be making these again.

VegetarianStuffed Peppers

Serves 4

Ingredients:

 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
 4 cloves garlic, minced
 1/2 onion, finely chopped
 1 (8-ounce) package tempeh, crumbled
 Unrefined sea salt, to taste
 1 teaspoon paprika
 2 pinches cayenne pepper
 1 teaspoon cumin
 1 cup frozen corn kernels, thawed
 11/2 cups good-quality, all-natural preparedmarinara sauce
 1 (4.5-ounce) can chopped green chiles
 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
 1 (14.5-ounce) can black beans, rinsed anddrained
 4 red bell peppers, tops removed and seeded
 1/2 cup shredded, low-fat organic cheddarcheese

 Instructions:

 1.  Heatthe oil in a large nonstick skillet to medium-high; add garlic and onion, andsautée until onion is just tender, about 3-4 minutes. Add the tempeh and sautéefor 3-4 minutes. Season onion and tempeh with salt to taste. Mix in thepaprika, cayenne pepper, cumin, and corn kernels.

 2. In a small bowl, whisk together themarinara sauce and green chiles. Pour the marinara–green chile mixture into theskillet with the tempeh; mix well to combine. Stir in the cilantro and blackbeans.

 3. Stuff the peppers with the tempeh mixture.Arrange the peppers in a 5- or 6-quart slow cooker. Cover and cook the pepperson high for 2 hours or on low for 4 hours.

4. Removethe lid and top the peppers with the shredded cheese, replace the cover, andcook on high for 15-20 additional minutes. Allow peppers to cool 10-15 minutesbefore serving. Serve warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment